Closings and Alerts
The decision to keep schools open or closed during winter weather is made with the well-being and safety of our students and families in mind. We take into consideration student’s time outside walking to school or waiting at the bus stop. The decision to delay, release early or close schools is made from weighing several factors: If road conditions and bus travel is unsafe -roads are driven and checked by bus company and school personnel during inclement weather.
- Wind chill temperatures
- Excessive snow accumulations
During winter season, always be sure to dress your child warmly for the bus stop or the walk to school. Buses may occasionally be delayed with bus pick-up times due to weather conditions and bus stops may need to be modified depending on road conditions in your area.
Decisions to close or delay schools will be made as soon as possible. Please look for announcements the day before a winter storm or by 6:00 a.m. the day of the closing or delay of school. Please check the notification sources listed below.
- Instant Alert System (by phone, text or email). An automated alert notification will be sent to you by phone, text, and e-mail based upon information/preferences provided by each family. If your contact information is not current, or if you're not sure, please visit the campus portal.
- Faribault Public Schools Website www.faribault.k12.mn.us. A page pop-up will appear when you visit our website, showing any delays or closings. Also a news announcement will be placed on our home page under district headlines.
- District-Wide Emergency Phone Line: (507) 333-6057 Call in for recorded message.
- Local Radio Stations (KDHL, KOWZ, KYMN)
- Television Public Announcements (WCCO channel 4, KSTP channel 5, KMSP Fox 9, KARE 11,KEYC channel 12)
- District Facebook and Twitter pages